- Order at least one set of the shortlisted books. The more sets you have, the more reading you'll have!
- Put a poster up in your Library (see Resources page).
- Explore the website (www.excelsioraward.co.uk), especially the links on the Shortlist 2016 page (shortlist for 2017 to be announced in early December). Encourage the students to do likewise.
- Have a good look at the shortlisted books when they arrive and familiarise yourself with the material. They are all fantastic and they're yours to keep forever!
- Form a Reading & Rating Group. This can be made up of whatever body of students you like. The shortlist was deliberately chosen with books to appeal to boys and to girls, to reluctant readers and to more able readers. There's something for everyone there.
- Photocopy or print out plenty of the Rating Forms (see the Resources page).
- Students should complete a Rating Form after every book read. Rather than students simply voting for their favourite book they will be asked to judge each title on its own merits. This should level the playing field and ensure that any of the eight titles could win the award!
- My recommendation would be that all Reading & Rating Groups should begin no later than Monday 30th January 2017 but if you've got your books in and you're all ready to go there is no reason why you can't start sooner if you want to.
- The final deadline for the return of ALL Rating Forms is Friday 21st April 2017. Please return them to 3 Northwood Place, Wadsley Park Village, Sheffield, S6 1RA.
- Although the Reading & Rating process will narrow down the shortlist into a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, there is also the True Believers Award for the school that returns the most Rating Forms and the JABBICA (Judge A Book By Its Cover Award) to decide the best book cover, voted for by Librarians and Teachers only.
- The Awards Ceremony will be in mid-to-late June with the venue/city to be confirmed in early 2017.
Thank you very much to every school participating!